Friday, June 25, 2010

A peach, A Plum, A half a stick of bubble gum

I'll be 13 weeks tomorrow!! WOooo Hooooo for making it through the first trimester with no sickness and little nausea. According to Baby Bump, at 12 weeks, the baby is the size of a plum, at 13, the size of a peach. It's also just under 3 inches (my bubblegum).
I still can't totally wrap my mind around the fact that I'm pregnant. It took almost two years to get a positive test! We've been through a lot stress/ doctor's appointments/ tests/ medicines and finally when we least expected to get pregnant, with no medicine, well here we are!
Last week when I was super nervous from not hearing the heartbeat on the doppler at our friend's home, I went to see my sis the next day at her work. She does echos for a career but was able to scan my belly. Ryall was able to come with and we were able to see the little peach jumping around, thrashing, kicking, lifting arms, and smiling. What an amazing sight!! It was difficult to get the heartbeat due to the baby being so little and we didn't have the program for OB/ GYN (just for adult hearts).
After we left, I of course took a huge breath and sigh of relief! What a blessing!
I had my 12 week appointment this week and everything looked great. I've actually lost two pounds so I thought that was great. I don't think I've been doing much different at all other than possibly cutting down on the few sweets that I did have. I try and have breakfast every morning, a little snack, lunch, another snack, then dinner. I have my trusty purple water bottle that hangs out in my office that I drink throughout the day. I typically go through two bottles of water, get water at lunch and then have milk or water for dinner.
The midwife came in talked to us for a few minutes to see if we had any concerns, then had me lower my pants and raise my shirt. She asked if I felt the baby fluttering yet, and I haven't. She didn't seem concerned but did suggest that I relax (yeah, right) in the evenings or after dinner and see if I can feel flutters. She said that typically with your second you'll feel movements earlier.
She then asked if I felt like the baby was growing. I told her that a pair of my pants had been bugging me so I think that meant the baby was growing. At this time I was laying on the table and she started to feel around my pelvis. She was pushing down on it and sure enough said that the uterus had raised outside of my pelvic bone thus confirming that the baby was growing. It sure was sore but good to know that she seemed like everything was going as planned.
Next she got the doppler and put it on my belly. After a few seconds of moving around, we heard the quick little heart beat of the baby. I never tire of hearing that sound! It was in the 140-150 range but she said that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
They had intially wanted me to have an ultrasound at 16-20 weeks but after setting it up yesterday at 20 weeks, I spoke up and mentioned that they wanted one in between. At that time, she re did the order for the lab and so now I get to see the baby at 16 and at 20 weeks.
Our appointment is July 21 at 4pm....hoping to find out the sex!! SO excited!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment